Friday, May 13, 2011

Palmer Package Club

This morning I went to Palmer Package Club. Clubs meet once or twice a week on campus, and there are plenty to choose from. Every specific technique has its own club, then there are clubs that revolve around other interests, like sports, pediatrics, etc. Palmer Package Club focuses on Palmer Package, which is the group of techniques that are part of the standard curriculum here at Palmer. The main components are based on Toggle, Gonstead, Diversified, and Thompson. They are tweaked here and there to reflect current research, best practices, etc. Palmer has done an excellent job at integrating several techniques into an extremely cohesive "toolbox" of adjusting protocols and techniques. We get tons of hands on with all of these techniques within the specific courses, of coarse. THe club is an extra opportunity to go through the entire history taking, exam, findings, and actual adjustment, with another student, and a doctor observing. It's the real deal, not a mock experience. This to me really is the best tool in learning to put it all together, and practice a real chiropractic adjustment, rather than just setting up, then practicing the thrust into the air, which is of course all we can do without having a real patient with a real need for an adjustment, something that can't be controlled or guaranteed in a classroom setting.

So this morning I went through the whole process of finding two subluxations, reviewing films, history, everything, then pick what I thought would be the best adjustment technique for those subluxations, and correct them. It went great! I had to switch techniques on one of them because it didn't respond to the manuever I had first chosen, but then I was able to pick a different procedure that would work better, and it did! It's a great experience to be able to be put into that clinical mindset, where I have to think on my feet, reassess, and move forward. Next tri I'm in the clinic, so I've got to start thinking this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment