Thursday, May 19, 2011

My first official clinic observation

Tuesday night I had my first clinic encounter observation, as part of my Intro to Clinic class. Exciting! I've observed dozens, if not hundreds, of clinical encounters, through shadowing my chiropractor, and other mentors since. Also, I've observed plenty with my wife and kids. But there was something different about this one. I think being in a clinic jacket, in a professional role, changes the perspective immensely. With observations, you are a silent party, but you are definitely taking notes as questions are being asked, findings delivered, treatment administered, and so on. This is an excellent opportunity to quitely assess what you would do with that same encounter, and to learn from the intern and staff doctor.

I can't discuss the particulars of the encounter, as that would breach HIPPA rights. While I could discuss details without divulging identifying information, I'm not even going to do that, as the details could identify the patient. I wouldn't dream of breaching that trust. It really is a profound privledge to be trusted with sensitive personal and health information, when you think about it. There are things discussed in a doctor's office that that person might not be willing to share with anyone else, including loved ones. This is just another aspect of how much responsibility is placed on a doctor.

In a few more months it will be me that is making those calls, and being observed by a fellow student. Time flies here.

No comments:

Post a Comment