Tuesday, November 16, 2010

SO now we're a couple weeks into the tri, I can let you all know what I think of the classes I'm in now. I'm taking 4 DC classes and 3 BS classes this tri, with a total of 30 hours.



First thing in the morning, 3 days a week, MTH, for two hours I'm in Radiology III. This Rad class is all about the Physics of x-ray. How it works, radioactivity exposure, etc. I find it very interesting. A lot of people in the class don't care for it, probably because it's physics stuff, and it's first thing in the morning. I've always been fascinated with how things work though, so it's right up my alley. Dr. Rowell is nice and funny, and he makes the class very interactive. Later in the tri we get to start taking x-rays, just of models, but I'm looking forward to that.



After Rad I have an hour break, which I'm utilizing right now to blog...



Then my favorite class this tri, Thoracolumbar adjusting with Dr. Bovee. This class is awesome! Dr. Bovee is making this class so much fun. He's as much of an authority on Palmer Gonstead adjusting as you'll find. I think he's taken more post-grad adjusting seminars in Gonstead Methods than anyone in the world. He teaches the listings on a conceptual level, so we get to rationalize and think through the listings and set-ups, rather than memorize things like doctor stance, contact point, etc. You still need to memorize these things, of course, but the way he teaches the material, every listing we get, we think through the "why" and build the set-up. I learn a lot better this way. I'm not big on rote memorization. If I understand why I'm doing something, I'll for sure remember how to do it. Dr. Bovee is such a personality too. He looks like Bob Ross, right down to the poofy hair and goatee. He usually wears untucked Hawaian print shirts. He's very laid back. Always cracking jokes. Totally my style.



NMS II with Dr. Brozovich is about the neurologic and orthopedic tests of the lower extremity, building on the knowledge learned in NMS I last tri. Dr. Brozovich is full of stories about practice life, and being an expert witness in court. Lot of legal stuff in this class so far, like what you could get sued for if you fail to perform. It's insightful to see this aspect of the realities of being in practice.



Then another hour break...



Then on MWF I have PT II, again with Dr. Rowell. This is the passive therapies portion of physiotherapy, last tri was active therapies ( exercises and stretches). Passive therapy is things like hot and cold, electrotherapy, ultrasound, cold laser, stim... There's a lab with this class, and last week we had to experience the four stages of an ice water bath. I had to stick my hand in a bucket of ice with just enough water to fill it up, but it's all ice! 15 minutes through cold, burning, aching, then numbness! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Those polar bear club members are insane. That's all I'm saying. Certifiable.

Signing out for now, time to go to class...

So I had lab in PT again today. Today we hooked up electrical stim on each other, learnng the different voltages and frequencies to use for different reasons and body areas. Dangerous. Fun.

Kinesiology, a bachelor's class, Monday nights with Dr. Pavlicek. He heads the rehab department and has a background and keen interest in sports. This should be a great class, and I guess about 70 other students thought so too. The typical B.S. class has about 15 to 20 students. I've never seen more than that, so 70 was a shock. Dr. Pavlicek is a great guy. He's about 12 feet tall and 500 pounds. OK I exagerate. But he's a big boy. First name Ranier. Like the Mountain.

Wellness, a psychology B.S. class with Tara Kelley is on Tuesday nights. Our class project involves picking an aspect of our own life that needs improvement for the sake of wellness. I decided that spending more meaningful time with friends was something lacking in my life right now. Ever since starting Palmer, getting married and having a kid, while renovating the house, I've had no time to just hang out. Go figure. Well not anymore. Last Friday I had a good friend from Palmer come over for dinner. It was nice to hang out with him outside of school for a change. This weekend Kristi and I are going to Galena, IL with friends. We reserved a two bedroom suite in a little inn right on Main St., so we can be next to all the stuff to see, do, and eat. I'm really looking forward to this, as our entire break I spent working on the house, and I still am every free moment I get. I really need a break! Galena is my favorite place to get away to. I've been going there fairly regularly for about15 years now. It's been a couple years now since we've spent the night there. We've visited quite a bit more often, passing through, but it's high time we spent a weekend there again!

Oh yah classes.

Finally there's Small Business Management with Karrie Holland. I took a marketing class from her last tri and really enjoyed it. She has an MBA and owns 3 or 4 locations of Cartridge World here in the QC. It's nice to have a business teacher that's in business, and can bring current and practical info to the class. Really looking forward to this class with her.

Once again a full plate and they call it "reduced schedule."

Winter tri is a long one for a couple reasons. For one it's the winter. Iowa winters are brutal, don't let anyone sugar-coat it. Daylight seems to last just a few hours. It's dark by 5. It's dark til 7. So on days I'm at school from 7:30 til 6:15, I'm in class from dark out to dark out. Not that I'd want to be outside when it's 10 degrees out. the other reason the winter tri is so long is that it's broken in two by a 2 week holiday break. Keep in mind that the fall break is two weeks long and the spring break is one week long. So when you get back from the holiday recess it feels like you should be starting a new tri, but really you're right in the middle of one. Usually you come back to tests waiting for you.

Sounds like I'm complaining, sorry. Don't take me wrong. Here in the midwest we like having cold dark winters, and we like to complain about them. It's like going to the gym. Feel the burn. It's good for you. No pain no gain. Makes you appreciate the other 3 seasons all the more. It's probably good for us in some Innate way, being a serious challenge to our survival instincts. Sympathetics kick in, endorphins circulate, pain decreases...ok it's too late to start talking neurophysiology.

Speaking of too late, it's now 10:10 and 10 minutes past my bedtime. Laney's been fighting going to sleep for the last 2 hours and I'm wiped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment